- First and Last Name
Karen Schatz Croll | Wellness Garden Coach
- Zip Code
Intergrative Nutrition Health Coach
FOOD AS MEDICINE
Over 2,000 years ago Hippocrates said “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” and “Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity”. Hippocrates was a very wise man and physician. We Americans have strayed very far from health and we are now in the age of a health crisis. We need to take control of our lives and turn this crisis around. And we can … but it will take education, determination and patience.
Below are the statistics of our current health crisis:
* Over 70% of the U.S. population is overweight and 38% of these people are obese.
* Psychiatric disorders affect 26% of our adult population. That’s over 60 million Americans.
* Over 20% of children have some type of psychiatric disorder.
* Over 40 million people have anxiety and more than 20 million people have depression. 1 in 10 Americans takes an antidepressant. The use of antidepressants has tripled in the last decade.
* Alzheimer’s disease will affect 30% and some experts say up to 50% of the people over 85, which is the fastest growing segment of our population, and will affect 106 million people by 2050.
* Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, is a label we now give to almost 9% of children between the ages of 8 and 15.
* Autism rates have increased in children from 3 in 10,000 to 1 in 166 and more. That’s an 11-fold increase in the last decade.
* Learning disabilities affect between 5- 10% of school-age children.
So, do you wonder why there is an alarming increase in all these diseases? What is contributing to them? I believe it is our poor Standard American Diet, poor quality supplements, lack of exercise, insufficient sleep and environmental toxicity.
My mission is to help people understand that food is the FIRST level of medicine in their lives. If we can return our diets to the pre-industrialized age, we will return to a diet of whole “clean” foods, way less processed foods, minimal sugars and we will shift how we have been living in the non-food areas of our lives so that we are more balanced and stress-free. Then we will see that food is the primary medicine our bodies need.
My goal is to help one person at time to transform their current life into a life that is happy, healthy, joy-filled and purpose-filled! If you want to explore how I can help you transform your life, contact me for a complementary health history session. I would love to help you create a vibrant and healthy life!
- Professional Credentials
Institute for Integrative Nutrition Graduate
- Primary Specialization